The most delicious and flavourful homemade pasta with roasted tomato sauce. It’s easy to make this pasta by hand, but you can also use a pasta maker to speed up the process. The perfect choice for your vegetarian dinner.
This year I bought a pasta machine and hands down, it was one of the best purchases of the year! It makes my time in the kitchen so much more fun and helps me create the best homemade pasta dishes with less effort. However, this pasta dish can easily be made just by rolling the dough by hand. So even if you don’t have a pasta maker – don’t worry. You’re good.
I think by now, you know it’s quite difficult to have a fully vegetarian meal in my house. My Fussy Eater is not a fan of recipes without meat, however homemade pasta with tomato sauce does magic. Every time I make it, it has massive success! This recipe never gets boring, and the richness of tomato sauce elevates a relatively simple dish.
Take advantage of these summer months when tomatoes are in season. They have so much flavour and are so fragrant, it’s a shame not to see them used!
Homemade Pasta Ingredients
I love this homemade pasta recipe because it’s very easy and to be honest, it’s so fun to make your own pasta. You’ll need just 4 ingredients, 30 minutes and your pasta is ready.
- Type 00 flour – this is finely ground flour that’s perfect for making pasta. If you’re struggling to find this variation, you can also use plain flour.
- Semolina – this is the reason why pasta has some bite and chewiness. Semolina is what makes pasta. Don’t skip this ingredient or you’ll end up with soft noodles.
- Eggs – this ingredient adds richness to your dough and also creates the most amazing yellowy colour.
- Olive oil – it adds earthy flavours to your dough and makes it easier to roll.
How to Use a Pasta Machine for Homemade Pasta
To be honest, using a pasta machine is quite self-explanatory. But it might be a little intimidating the first time. Please don’t worry though, I’ve got your back. We’ll do this together…
STEP 1 – First of all, cut the pasta dough into smaller pieces (I cut my dough into 3 same size pieces).
STEP 2 – Secondly, take one piece and roll to roughly 5mm thickness. This will help the machine to catch your dough and make the first round through your pasta machine easier.
STEP 3 – Start rolling the dough through the machine on the widest setting (I’m using the Atlas pasta maker and started on 0). With each roll, increase the setting and finish at 6 to get thin sheets.
STEP 4 – Repeat the process with the rest of the dough.
STEP 5 – After your sheets are ready, add the spaghetti gadget onto your machine and roll your pasta through it.
STEP 6 – Gently flour your pasta and cook it in salted water.
That’s it! I’m telling you it’s so easy. Promise.
If you need more inspiration for your pasta dishes, try out these recipes:
300g Type 00 flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons cold water
300g tomatoes (cherry, beef, plum)
2 garlic cloves
1 chilli pepper
1 tablespoon Italian herbs mix
Salt and pepper
Prepare the pasta dough:
- Add all the pasta ingredients into a big bowl and mix everything together.
- After all the ingredients come together, knead the dough for 5 minutes until it’s smooth. If the dough seems too dry, add an extra tablespoon or two of water. If the dough seems wet or sticky, just add in some extra flour.
- Form the dough into a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap. Let the dough rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pasta dough into your desired shape, either by hand or using a pasta maker (watch the video here). If you’re using pasta maker, roll the sheets until you reach the 6th setting.
- Dust the pasta with some extra flour.
Prepare the roasted tomatoes sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Cut the tomatoes into same sized cubes. Roughly chop garlic and chilli pepper. Add the veggies onto a baking tray.
- Drizzle the veggies with olive oil and season them with Italian herbs, salt and pepper.
- Bake the tomatoes in the oven for 40 minutes.
- After the veggies are baked, add them into a food blender and blitz them.
- Pour the paste into a saucepan and add a glass of water. Cook the sauce on low heat for 20-30 minutes until it reaches your desired consistency. Season to your liking.
Finish the pasta:
- Cook the pasta in salted water for 3-5 minutes (depends on the pasta thickness).
- Drain the pasta (retaining about 100ml of pasta water) and add the prepared pasta sauce, pouring over the remaining starchy pasta water.
- Mix the pasta and serve it with some parmesan cheese and Italian herbs.