Spanish omelette (Spanish tortilla) with poached egg and rocket will bring some excitement to your breakfast menu. Crispy potatoes with a hint of smoked paprika and lovely, silky, runny egg are everything you need for a perfect start to the day.
In general, I’m not a massive fan of breakfast. I just feel most of the recipes are the same. They all kind of blend into one. When I look at a dinner menu – there are so many different combinations, variations, flavours – but breakfasts somewhat lack this excitement.
Well, I won’t say this recipe will completely revolutionise your life or breakfast routine, however it is something new and different! Just a little bit of excitement to start your day goes a long way…
This Spanish omelette recipe combines two of the best things ever – humble potatoes and silky, runny poached egg. You can also serve this dish with fresh salad or rocket to bring some freshness.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Spanish Omelette
There are so many different flavour combinations to make Spanish omelette that it could be a full recipe book in itself. Nonetheless, I want to share some basic tips so you can nail the recipe every time you make it:
- Low and slow – this is not one of those recipes you can quickly put together before you go to work. It takes time, so it’s better to prepare during long weekend mornings. Cook the Spanish omelette on low heat until the potatoes get soft.
- This’ll sound quite strange but use room temperature eggs. I can hear you saying: ‘but this is not a cake!’ and you are completely right, however, this way you’ll get extra fluffiness for your omelette.
- The original recipe requires flipping the omelette, so you can choose this method, or you can cover the omelette in the pan and cook it for an extra couple of minutes until the top gets firmer.
- Use any type of vegetables. For example, you can swap leeks with onions, add green beans, broccoli or even zucchini.
- If you’re not feeling confident with your egg poaching skills, check out this recipe and follow my instructions for the perfect result.
Spanish Omelette Q&A
I thought I’d share some commonly asked questions, to help you create your weekly food plan and introduce Spanish omelette to your breakfast menu.
- What can be served with the omelette? Serve a fresh side salad, fried bacon or even full-fat pork sausages for a naughty breakfast dish.
- How long can you keep this omelette in the fridge? You can store Spanish omelette in the fridge for up to three days.
- Can I add more ingredients? Hell yes!!! Go wild with the flavour combinations and try out new recipe variations.
2 cloves of garlic
1 chili pepper
½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
½ teaspoon of sweet paprika
Salt and pepper
- Peel the potatoes and finely slice them.
- Preheat the pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the sliced potatoes and cook for 5-10 minutes until they get soft.
- Finely chop garlic, chili pepper, leek and add them to cooked potatoes. Mix everything. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs with smoked and sweet paprika, milk, chopped dill, salt and pepper. Add the mixture to the pan with the cooked potatoes.
- Add the lid and heat the omelette for 5 minutes, or until the eggs reach your desired consistency.
- Serve the omelette with fresh rocket and poached egg.