Vegan panna cotta with strawberry jam is a real treat for dessert lovers. It’s easy, it looks good and tastes great. Using coconut milk instead of double cream gives the perfect spin on a traditional Italian panna cotta.
I think everyone already knows my love for Italy. I try to travel to this country at least once a year and I always have the best time. I love the food, the natural landscape, architecture and of course the people. To be honest, I think I should have been born in Italy instead of Lithuania – somebody really messed up with my birth country!
Italy doesn’t only provide the best pasta dishes and the most delicious pizzas, but also their desserts are simply divine. Only just recently I was writing about how much I love tiramisu. Well this time, I’d like to share my second favourite treat – panna cotta. It’s silky, creamy and absolutely scrumptious.
However, this time I’m exploring an updated version of this dessert – vegan panna cotta. It delivers all the best parts of this recipe, without using any animal products. All the ingredients are plant based (except for the jam where I used honey, but you can easily swap it for maple syrup).
It’s the perfect recipe without any guilt! So why not give it a go?
Vegan Panna Cotta Ingredients
To make the best vegan panna cotta you’ll need:
- Coconut milk – this is the base of the recipe and substitutes for double cream.
- Oat milk – which helps break the richness of the coconut milk and creates a wonderful smooth texture.
- Rum – you know me, and you know I can’t resist a splash of alcohol in my recipes! It does elevate the taste.
- Maple syrup – giving the perfect sweet kick to this vegan panna cotta.
- Powdered agar agar – this ingredient will help create the perfect jiggly texture for your panna cotta. It’s all about that wobble!
Vegan Panna Cotta Toppings
This time I used strawberry jam for my vegan panna cotta topping. I had the most gorgeous and juicy strawberries in my fridge and I just went with these. Although, trust me, the sky is the limit when it comes to the toppings.
Here are some options:
- Raspberries – by using exactly the same method as in this recipe, you can create the most delicious raspberry jam.
- Roasted nectarines or peaches – use this recipe to roast the nectarines and top your panna cotta with them. Delicious!
- Kiwi jelly – kiwis are the most delicious fruits when they are in season. You can use this recipe to create the kiwi jelly for your vegan panna cotta.
400ml coconut milk (one can)
200ml oat milk
50ml maple syrup
½ tablespoon agar agar
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons chia seeds
Prepare the panna cotta:
- Add coconut and oat milk together in a saucepan with the maple syrup and rum. Whisk the mixture. Keep the saucepan on a low heat until it starts boiling.
- After the mixture reaches boiling temperature, add agar agar and bring back to the heat. Heat the mixture for 5 minutes or until the powder completely dissolves.
- Pour the mixture into jars and leave them in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Prepare the jam:
- Cut the strawberries into small cubes and add them to your saucepan.
- Heat the strawberries until they start breaking apart and losing their texture.
- Take them off the heat and add honey (or maple syrup if you prefer) together with the chia seeds. Mix everything together.
- Pour the jam on top of your panna cotta.
- Serve the dessert chilled.