An amazing and delicious cauliflower stew with spicy chorizo sausage is a very easy meal that is perfect for a quick mid-week dinner. You can also skip the sausage from the recipe and have a vegetarian or even vegan meal idea.
When I was a kid, I hated cauliflower. I couldn’t stand this vegetable and even the smell would make me sick. My mum would make something similar to cauliflower porridge and I wouldn’t even touch it. Oh God, how mistaken I was! All that goodness was in front of me and I just walked away.
I’m glad that with the years’ everything has changed. My taste buds evolved and I started to appreciate more those humble and simple ingredients, which prepared in the right way can be the most amazing thing ever.
This is how this cauliflower stew recipe was created – some childhood memories combined with the leftovers in my fridge ended up being the most divine and simple vegetable stew.
Cauliflower Stew Recipe Changes
This cauliflower stew recipe can be easily adapted for your liking and actually, to what you have in your fridge. Here are some options, but feel free to be creative and find what works the best for you.
- Use full cauliflower, and I mean all the parts of it – stalk, leaves and florets. Stalk gives the perfect base for your stew and can create something similar to sofrito. Leaves are perfect to bring some greenness to your dish.
- Swap half of cauliflower with broccoli.
- Add more vegetables, like carrots, leeks, onions, mushrooms. This can be the real vegetable feast in one dish.
- Skip the chorizo sausage for a vegetarian option.
- You can also use panko breadcrumbs instead of simple ones or blitz a slice of bread in a food processor and add it to the dish.
If you are looking for any other simple mid-week meal ideas, try out these recipes:
100g green beans
1 chilli pepper
1 garlic clove
1 chorizo sausage
2 tablespoon breadcrumbs
50g Parmesan cheese
Knob of butter
Salt and pepper
- Cut the cauliflower into smaller chunks (at this moment leave the stalk aside) and boil them in salted water together with the green beans for 5 minutes or until they get soft.
- Cut the cauliflower stalk into small cubes together with the leaves. Finely chop the chili pepper and garlic.
- Preheat a saucepan with a knob of butter and add the chopped vegetables. Fry them for a couple of minutes or until they get softer.
- Remove the casting from the chorizo sausage and cut it into small chunks.
- Add the sausage into the fried vegetables and cook them together.
- Drain the cauliflower and green beans. Add them into the saucepan with the sausage and using a spatula mash the cauliflower into small pieces (you still want to have vegetable texture, but mash as much as possible).
- Add the breadcrumbs, grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Mix everything together and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Serve the dish with the sliced spring onions and chilli flakes.