These delicious and easy feta cheese parcels with filo pastry are the perfect appetizer. Imagine salty and creamy feta wrapped in flaky, golden filo sheets, finished with a sweet honey drizzle. Heavenly. This is a great and quick way to start your dinner.
I love food. There’s no surprise here! It’s so much more than just a way to survive. It’s memories, traditions and hopes for the future.
Food helps us travel without leaving the house. Do you want to go to Italy? Today? Well, let’s make a delicious lasagne followed by a creamy tiramisu (recipe is here). In less than three hours, you can imagine you’re in a middle of a chaotic piazza in the centre of Rome, eating your amazing dinner with a glass of wine.
This time, I’d like to invite you for a short trip to Greece.
Specifically, we’re heading to a lovely, sunny Greek island with the most amazing sea view from a family-run taverna. Are you with me? Great.
The meal this family is serving is creamy and flaky feta parcels with a drizzle of honey. Three simple things combined to make the perfect appetizer.
With just one, very easy meal, you can travel around the world without ever leaving your kitchen. I’m telling you – food has unquestionable power.
Feta Cheese Parcels: Why You’ll Love this Recipe
If you love cheese, this is the recipe for you. However, if you need more convincing to try this dish, consider this:
- It’s very quick and easy. This recipe takes just 20 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to bake.
- You need just 4 ingredients to make this snack.
- The filling is creamy, soft and just melts in your mouth.
- It has a variety of perfect flavours – salty feta combined with flaky pastry, finished with a drizzle of sweet and earthy honey. What’s not to love?
- There’s no need for a deep fat fryer – these parcels are baked in the oven.
Feta Cheese Parcels: Ingredients and Substitutions
To make this delicious feta cheese parcels dish you’ll need just four ingredients. And when you think about it, it’s pretty amazing how much flavour this recipe delivers with just four items.
- Feta cheese – obviously you can’t make feta parcels without feta cheese! However, if you’d like, you can swap the feta for a different type of cheese. Anything would work, from mozzarella sticks to tofu (or even this vegan feta cheese alternative)
- Filo pastry – this flaky and paper-thin pastry is the perfect way to wrap your cheese.
- Melted butter – filo pastry needs some oil in order to turn into a delicious parcel. Otherwise, you’ll end up eating feta with tasteless, crunchy paper. A little knob of butter makes all the difference. If you don’t have any butter, you can use coconut oil to brush the sheets. But butter really is best…
- Honey – to finish this dish you’ll need a drizzle of sweet and sticky honey. This ingredient just brings everything together and creates a cohesive, delicious appetizer.
If you’re looking for more appetizer recipes, check out these ideas:
1 block feta cheese
1 block filo pastry
50g melted butter
1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a baking tray.
- Cut the feta cheese into quarters.
- Lay one sheet of filo pastry on your worktop and brush it with melted butter. Lay another sheet on top of it and brush with butter again. Lay the third filo sheet.
- Wrap one feta quarter in the filo pastry. Place it on the baking tray.
- Repeat the process with the remaining three quarters.
- Brush the top of the pastries with the remaining butter.
- Bake them in the oven for 15 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Serve the parcels with a drizzle of honey.