This ham quiche with a hash brown crust is the perfect choice for breakfast. It’s easy to make, using any meat or veggies for this recipe. Also, this simple dish is gluten free and can be adapted for vegetarians.
During this weekend I made a lot of food. As you know, I don’t tolerate food waste and I came up with some creative ideas to turn our leftovers into new tasty dishes. After all, you have to admit – nobody wants to eat roast turkey with potatoes for three days in a row! So, for the next couple of days we had several ‘leftover meals’ including, pasta ‘carbonara’ using leftover gammon, homemade pizzas with leftover turkey and sausage meat, and a lovely ham quiche using more leftover gammon.
To my surprise, the ham quiche was a massive success, and the result was splendid. It was simply luxurious. This dish is perfect if you want to hide some veggies. For example, I ended up adding carrots into the hash brown base and tomatoes into the filling. Now, I’m regretting that I didn’t add some edamame beans as well, for more protein. Even so, this shows how versatile this dish can be – you can swap veggies, add new ingredients or just make it vegetarian.
Tips for the Best Quiche
This recipe can easily be adapted. Don’t forget you can swap one ingredient with another and this particular dish is perfect if you want to clean out your fridge.
- Dairy – for the best quiche you need to use dairy products, but you can swap double cream in my recipe for milk, or Greek yogurt.
- Meat – I was using the leftover gammon from my Christmas dinner, but you can swap it for bacon, roast turkey, chicken or even sausage meat. Also, if you prefer a vegetarian version, you can use mushrooms, asparagus or peas.
- Cheese – this ingredient is not necessary, but it gives saltiness and richness to the dish. You can also use any leftovers you might have in your fridge – mozzarella, feta or parmesan.
Lovely and delicious Sunday quiche with mimosas on the side. Sounds like a good plan.
2 small carrots
½ teaspoon of garlic powder
½ teaspoon of paprika powder
1 teaspoon of dry chives
50ml double cream
50g cherry tomatoes
60g cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper
Olive oil or a knob of butter
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Make a hash brown: grate the potatoes and carrots (uncooked). Add the veggies onto a cheesecloth or a clean towel and squeeze out the excess liquid by twisting the cloth.
- Add the spices (garlic, paprika, chives, salt and pepper) into the veggies. Mix everything together.
- Butter a pie dish (or use olive oil instead) and add the grated vegetables. Use a spatula and pat down the base of the hash brown. You want to have a very firm base without any empty spaces.
- Add the hash brown into the oven and bake it for 20 minutes.
- Make a filling: beat the eggs together with milk and double cream. Add finely chopped ham, grated cheese, salt and pepper. Mix everything together.
- Take the hash brown out of the oven and pour in the filling. Add the cherry tomatoes on top.
- Bake the quiche for 20 minutes.
- Finish the quiche with the finely chopped parsley.