This delicious homemade roasted tomato sauce is a real celebration of humble and sweet tomatoes. Take advantage while these veggies are in season and make this sauce in batches. Use it with your pasta dishes or stews.
Making a delicious and sweet roasted tomato sauce is such a wonderful and pleasant experience. It’ll sound like I’m crazy but in some ways, it makes me feel more grown up. Why? Well, I remember when I was a kid, I would watch my mum during the summer months when she’d prepare all the goodies for winter. I always admired her so much… and now it’s me doing the same thing in my London kitchen!
In some strange way, making and storing dishes like these makes me feel closer to my mum. It’s like a food story between us, and with my cooking I’m telling her how much I love her and how much I learned from her.
Even though I grew up watching her cooking every single day, now, our cooking styles are very different. I love introducing new cuisines to my dishes and as you know, I’m obsessed with Italian dishes.
Due to this, I wanted to make a big batch of the most delicious Italian-inspired homemade roasted tomato sauce. I can keep it in my cupboard and grab it any time I need a punch of flavour for my pasta dishes.
Why Homemade Roasted Tomato Sauce Is So Good?
- In order to make this dish, you’ll need just five ingredients. Yep, just five.
- Make the sauce in summer months, while tomatoes are full in flavour and very aromatic.
- By roasting your tomatoes, you create extra layers of flavour.
- With this sauce in your cupboard, you can create the most delicious pasta dishes within minutes.
Homemade Roasted Tomato: Ingredients
As I mentioned above, you’ll need just five simple ingredients to make this sauce:
- Tomatoes – it’s no surprise, but this is a hero product, so try to use the best quality tomatoes you can. They need to be aromatic and flavourful. I used a combination of cherry, beef and plum tomatoes to give more flavour to my sauce. These are the perfect British tomatoes – link.
- Garlic – just roughly crush the garlic cloves and add them to the sliced tomatoes. This helps to bring some earthy tones to the recipe.
- Chilli pepper – I love a gentle kick in my dishes, and due to this I used two chilli peppers. Feel free to skip this ingredient if you’re not of fan of heat, or add more if you aren’t afraid!
- Italian herb mix – I can’t imagine an Italian dish without Italian herb mix. If you don’t have this in your cupboard, just use a mix of dry dill, parsley, rosemary and thyme.
- Olive oil – a good glug of extra virgin olive oil is vital in this dish and helps to combine all the ingredients together.
If you need more inspiration for your pasta dishes, try out these recipes:
1kg tomatoes (cherry, beef, plum)
6 garlic cloves
3 chilli pepper
2 tablespoons Italian herb mix
Salt and pepper
Prepare the roasted tomatoes sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Cut the tomatoes into same sized cubes. Roughly chop garlic and chilli pepper. Add the veggies onto a baking tray.
- Drizzle the veggies with olive oil and season them with Italian herbs, salt and pepper.
- Bake the tomatoes in the oven for 40 minutes.
- After the veggies are baked, tip them into a food blender and blitz them.
- Pour the paste into a saucepan and add a glass of water. Cook the sauce on low heat for 20-30 minutes until it reaches your desired consistency. Season to your liking.