This vegan, delicious quick pickled cucumbers recipe is the perfect accompaniment for any delicious dinners. It will take you less than 10 minutes to make and the flavour is awesome. Try it and you won’t regret it.
It feels strange and even a little bit weird to write such a simple recipe for quick pickled cucumbers. But you know, sometimes beauty hides in simplicity… and this recipe is exactly like that. It’s often the simplest things that are best, after all.
I remember the lovely summer months when my mum and I would spend hours in our kitchen preparing cucumbers and pickling them. It sounds crazy, but for a family of four, we would make 30-50 jars of this goodness.
This was because during the winter months, the selection of fresh vegetables was limited. We would end up eating pickled veggies through these long, cold months. Trust me, with the first spring sunshine, I was craving fresh and delicious produce.
Maybe due to these childhood memories, I find quick pickled cucumbers so comforting. Every time I make them, it just brings back all these memories of summer evenings with my mum in our kitchen.
Why Is This Recipe So Good?
- You’ll need just five ingredients, and the quick pickled cucumbers recipe is done.
- The longest prep-stage is cutting the veggies (the cucumber and chilli pepper).
- Mix the liquid ingredients before adding them to the jar with the cucumbers. This way, you can adapt it to your liking.
- These pickled cucumbers go very well as a side to meaty dishes (like chicken, pork or beef) or as a condiment for your pulled pork burgers. Delicious.
Tips for Quick Pickled Cucumbers
To be honest, there’s nothing crazy in this making process. But I thought I’d share four quick tips with you, so you can absolutely nail this recipe.
- Leave the prepared cucumbers at room temperature for 30 minutes. The cucumbers need to absorb the vinaigrette to develop more flavour. If you have more time – it’s even better.
- Make the vinaigrette separately. I recommend mixing all the pickling ingredients in a separate bowl. This allows you to easily adjust the seasoning.
- Add different ingredients. You can add garlic, ginger, peppercorns or even capers to give more saltiness to your cucumber slices.
- Make bigger quantities. In this recipe I made two small jars (200ml) for four people, but you can make more and leave it in the fridge for over a month.
If you like interesting side dishes, check these out:
2 short cucumbers
1 chilli pepper
150ml cold water
50ml white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon caster sugar
½ teaspoon salt
- Slice the cucumbers and the chilli pepper.
- Mix the rest of your ingredients until the sugar has dissolved.
- Tightly pack the cucumbers and chilli pepper slices into a small container and pour the mixture on top.
- Leave the cucumbers at room temperature for an hour to develop in flavour.