This no-churn homemade ice cream with pistachio and chocolate is made just with two main ingredients: condensed milk and double cream. You won’t need an ice cream maker, just whisk everything, and let the freezer do the rest. This recipe is easy and simple, but so delicious.
My ultimate summer treat is a cold and silky portion of ice cream.
Just 10 minutes away from my house, we have the most wonderful place for Italian gelato. From June onwards, I’m their best customer!
Now it’s funny (and a little strange) to remember 2020, late spring, early summer. During this time, the pandemic was at its height – everything was closed, no restaurants, no cinemas, no shops – basically, nowhere to go apart from a walk in a park. So, My Fussy Eater and I created a routine walk. Each evening we walked to the gelateria, picked-up our gelato and went home (not going to lie, my tummy really started showing the consequences of these walks).
It’s lovely to remember those summer warm evenings now. During this crazy situation when everything was forbidden, we created our own escape. So, it’s no surprise this dessert has become something of a favourite summer treat in our house.
I hope you feel exactly the same about this homemade pistachio and chocolate ice cream. Let me know how you get on.
Homemade Ice Cream: Ingredients
This recipe is a real hit with home cooks. First of all, it’s very easy. Secondly, you’ll need just two ingredients. Thirdly, you don’t need to have an ice cream maker! What’s not to love? And did I mention you’ll get some delicious homemade ice cream too?
The base for this recipe is:
- Condensed milk
- Double cream
That’s it. Two main ingredients and everything else is down to your creativity and interpretation.
Homemade Ice Cream Flavour Variations
Of course, my ice cream had to be chocolate flavour (when you live with someone who’s obsessed with this ingredient, flavour variations are quite limited). However, the options really are limitless. From fruity to boozy flavours, if you can imagine it, you can make it.
Here are some options for homemade ice cream:
- Berry ripple – summer and ice cream are the best combination. Summer and berries, even better. Select the most fragrant berries, heat them until they start breaking, add lemon zest and caster sugar, and incorporate this jam into your ice cream.
- Mint chocolate – finely chop fresh mint leaves. Add peppermint extract, chocolate chips and mint leaves into your ice cream base.
- Tiramisu – add pieces of lady fingers to your ice cream base. Make a strong coffee and mix it with amaretto liquor. Mix everything with the ice cream, and it’s pretty superb.
- Salted caramel – prepare homemade caramel (you can use this recipe for the caramel sauce). Combine with a pinch of salt and mix with the ice cream.
Check out other summer desserts:
Ricotta Cake with Cherries
Galette with Peach and Cherry Filling
Lemon and Pistachio Cake with Lemon Curd
Check out my favourite baking equipment:
Baking Parchment Paper Roll
Ice Cream Scoop
KitchenAid Hand Mixer
1 tin of condensed milk
300ml double cream
50g milk chocolate
50g chopped pistachios and hazelnuts
Prepare the ice cream:
- Whip the double cream with an electric mixer until you reach soft peaks.
- In a different bowl, whisk condensed milk for a short while, then add the whipped cream. Fold everything together.
- Chop the nuts finely and gently roast them just to get more flavour and aroma.
- Add them into an ice cream mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into a container suitable for freezing.
- Melt the chocolate and pour it on top of the ice cream. Use a toothpick to create nice ripples.
- Freeze the ice cream for at least five hours or overnight before serving.