I remember myself as a kid on Sunday mornings waking up because of the noise in our kitchen. I could hear playing music on a radio, turned on hand mixer and my parents laugh. This could mean the only thing – my Dad is cooking his amazing, soft little “clouds” – pancakes. Those mornings were my favourite ones.
I remember my wonderful Mum, who was keen to make everything healthier and she was secretly adding grated veggies or fruits (zucchinis were her favourite!) into the pancakes. I hated this so much! I thought that she was taking away my most amazing Sunday celebration and I kept telling myself that no matter what, I will never do the same thing. Well… I grow up and surprise surprise… I am doing exactly the same thing and I am even proud of myself when I do it. Every time I hide something in my pancakes, I hope that my amazing man won’t notice it.
This time, I hid carrots into my pancakes. I got inspired by an amazing carrot cake. This is why I am using cinnamon and nutmeg (you could also add cloves).
I always add a spoon of ground almond – it gives an amazing texture, taste and moist to the pancakes. If you don’t have them, no worries, add a little bit more of flour. Same with brown sugar. I add this ingredient more for the caramelization, rather than sweetness. Also, if you want, you can swap milk to the plant-based products.
Ingredients (makes around 10 pancakes):
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons self-raising flour
1 tablespoon ground almond
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoon brown sugar
Pinch of salt
Oil for cooking
- Separate egg yolks from whites. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks.
- Mixed together all the dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, ground almond, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar), add finely grated carrot and mix well all together. Add a splash of milk
- Add egg whites and gently mix together
- Add milk, until batter becomes easily mixed, but not too liquidy (you may need more or less milk, it depends on your flour, so always keep an eye on it)
- Cook in a heated pan with vegetable oil
- I present pancakes with fresh berries, fruits, homemade granola and honey.