French toast with caramelised bananas combines two classic flavours into one heavenly creation. Thick slices of soft brioche bread covered with vanilla custard, and served with delicious bananas. Now that’s what I call the perfect way to start a day!
I’ve never been a big fan of breakfast. If I grab a croissant with my morning coffee – I’m happy. If I have a plate of Full English – I’m happy. If I end up not having anything – not a big deal. I’m easily pleased. However, if I do decide to spend time preparing breakfast, I want to make it exquisite. And this French toast with caramelised bananas recipe is just that.
Not only does this recipe transform an ordinary breakfast into a gourmet journey, but it also adds a delightful touch of elegance to your table. Whether you’re hosting a weekend brunch or simply treating yourself to a special morning treat, this French toast with caramelised bananas is guaranteed to impress even the most discerning palates.
To make this dish, you’ll need less than 20 minutes. Although if you’d like to take an extra step, you can bake your own brioche and create a real feast. In this instance, I recommend baking your bread a day before making the French toast.
Toppings for French Toast
For my French toast, I used delicious, caramelised bananas and fresh berries. However, you can choose different toppings and create your own variations.
- Roasted peaches, nectarines or apricots – these fruits are very sweet and juicy, so they are perfect for roasting and go well with silky French toast.
- Keep it very simple and serve the toast with butter and maple syrup
- Start your day with a little bit of chocolate and serve your breakfast with a dollop of chocolate spread and roasted nuts.
- If you are a fan of zingy flavours – lemon curd would be your go-to choice. Silky and creamy with a little citrus kick to help you to wake up.
Bread for French Toast
In this recipe I used brioche, however this isn’t the only option, and you can swap it for different types of bread to get various exciting results. Here are some recommendations and what you can expect by choosing different bread:
- Brioche bread is a rich, buttery, and slightly sweet bread with a tender crumb. Its delicate texture makes it an excellent choice for French toast, resulting in a decadently soft and fluffy end result.
- Challah is a traditional Jewish bread that is slightly sweet and eggy. It has a soft and airy interior with a golden crust. Using challah for French toast adds a delightful richness and depth of flavour to the dish.
- A classic French baguette is a great choice for those who prefer a firmer and slightly chewy texture in their French toast. It has a crusty exterior and a soft interior that soaks up the custard mixture beautifully.
- Sourdough bread brings a tangy flavour and a chewy texture to the French toast. It offers a unique twist to the traditional recipe, adding a delicious complexity to the dish.
- If you prefer a healthier option, whole wheat bread is a fantastic choice. It adds a nutty flavour and a denser texture to the French toast.
If you’re looking for delicious breakfast recipes, check out these meals:
4 slices of brioche bread
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
50g brown sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Prepare the toast:
- Whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla extract and salt until combined.
- Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture and coat both sides evenly.
- Melt butter in a pan over a medium high heat and cook the bread until golden brown.
Prepare the bananas:
- Slice the bananas.
- Melt the butter in a pan. Add the sugar and cinnamon. Cook until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the sliced bananas and stir them into the sauce. Cook for a few minutes until the bananas get caramelized.
Assemble the toast:
- Serve the toast with caramelised bananas and fresh berries.